Saturday, September 13, 2014

How to Stay Focused While Studying

created on Picmonkey.com

Staying focused is my downfall. Especially if I'm studying something I hate. I am the biggest procrastinator ever too. Even as I'm writing this I'm getting sidetracked! Here are a few tips to help those of you who are like me when you're studying!

1. Put away the electronics
Leave your phone or iPod or laptop or whatever out of sight, in your room, or some place where you won't find yourself reaching for it. If you need to use your computer for studying, make sure you know that you are there to study and only to study, not go on Pinterest or Facebook or Twitter. This means no listening to music too!

2. Don't study in your room (or on your bed)
Keep your bed for sleeping or relaxing. Not for studying. Last year this was all I did. I did homework on my bed, I studied on my bed, I procrastinated on my bed. You will feel soooo much more motivated if you sit at the kitchen table, at your desk, or someplace quiet. There will always be something in your room to distract you, so take away those distractions!

3. Know why you're studying
Studying, however painful it may be, is something you have to do (unless you're one of those people who has a photographic memory or can remember everything). It's not only important so you can do the best you can in your classes, but it also helps you put your academic goals in perspective. Sure there will always be a test you do poorly on no matter how much you study, but at least you tried! Better to try and fail than fail without trying at all!

4. Don't cram
Start making notecards or reviewing your notes at least a couple nights in advance. I know this isn't always possible, but even making a few note cards or studying for 10 minutes can make a difference. Set aside a little time every weekend to study. I'm guilty of cramming for practically every test. It's hard to find time to study every night like teachers expect you to do. I mean, come on, you have a life outside of school! Review a little before bed or use the Quizlet app to study on the go!

5. Stay organized
Make sure you have a designated notebook (or notebook section) for every class. Keeping everything for the chapter you are studying in the same place will make everything easier. Don't have some notes in one place and some in another. It will seriously cut down your studying time if you have everything right there.

Hope these tips helped! What are some ways you stay focused? Comment below!

Au Revoir!

"Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve." -J.K. Rowling 

No comments:

Post a Comment